Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Baby Doll Blankets



I get to be one of Santa's elves. How cool is that? A group of knitters and crocheters from the Shreveport area are knitting (and crocheting) baby doll blankets for toys for tots. Santa finds help where he needs it. There are a couple of other groups involved in this project. I'm just one cog, er, elf in the wheel. I tend to do more spinning than knitting so I am not the fastest knitter in the world. Crocheting is faster but I have always liked the look of knitting better, except for fancy crocheted edges on things. I should probably learn how to tat.
I knitted one baby doll blanket which took a couple of days in my spare time. Then I crocheted one in an afternoon – much faster for me. It occurred to me that whipping them out on a sewing machine would be fastest so I got out my trusty sewing machine which I have had for 17 years. We replaced a belt and a few other things last year so I was surprised that it looks like it needs a new belt again. The replacement belt isn't the same number as the original but I guess replacement belts are made by a different company now. I am waiting for a belt to come in the mail probably tomorrow.
I got one quilted baby doll blanket done before the sewing machine started growling at me. I finished a couple more by hand – those probably took as long as they would have if I had crocheted them. Hmm, well itty bitty quilts are cute. They are easy to make if you find some material which looks like it is already quilted. I only had to put batting between and stitch the sides and then quilt a little square in the center. If my machine gets fixed tomorrow I will be able to whip out several more of these quickly.
Here are some pictures of the finished products. We are working, Santa.

2 comments:

Court said...

that's really cool. i like things like that.
how's your blanket coming?

Sharon said...

I finished 10 of the little quilted ones, one knitted blanket and one crocheted blanket. I'm hoping to make more than that for next year.